Sunday, June 10, 2012

Week 1

This was the first CSA box.  I expected it to be fairly light because it's still early in the growing season and last week at the market most of the booths just had a mix of greens and not much else.

Here's what is in the box:
Russian Kale, Mesculan Salad Greens, Radishes, Japanese Salad Turnips, Garlic Scapes, Snow Peas

Russian White Kale:

Mesculan Salad Mix:

Japanese Salad Turnips, Garlic Scapes,  and Radishes:

Snow Peas:

I also pick up some salad tomatoes ($2.75/quart) and delicious strawberries ($5/quart)


So the CSA box was, as I expected, a bit light this week.  So far I've gotten two salads out of this, and I still have most of the kale, another salad bowl full of mesculan greens, all the snow peas (1/3 of the pictured above is my share), a garlic scape, most of the turnips and radishes.  The strawberries are gone--they were SO good I couldn't stop eating them!  And I still have a couple tomatoes left--I've just been slicing them and eating them with a bit of salt and pepper (sometimes a splash of balsamic vinegar to be fancy).

Hopefully, I figure out what to do with the turnips and radishes soon (I sliced up a bit of each in one salad, but  I'm not sure that's the best treatment for them).

No comments:

Post a Comment