Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Turnip, Radish, and Greens Stir-fry with Tofu bites

After a weekend full of salads, all that was left from this week's CSA box were turnips, radishes, garlic scapes, snow peas, and kale.  I figured the easiest way to cook everything was a stir-fry--and was I ever right: it turned out to be delicious!

I also made baked tofu bites, which is my favorite tofu recipe.  My timing of the dishes was a bit off, so the stir fry was done WAY before the tofu.  I made it a two course dinner instead of one.

Stir fry ingredients:
Japanese salad turnips
radishes
garlic scapes
snow peas
kale
green tops from the turnips and radishes
Mirin (rice vinegar)
Teriyaki sauce/marinade
crunchy rice noodles



Once all the veggies are prepped, I added a bit of extra virgin olive oil to my wok, let it heat up and then dumped in the turnips and snow peas for a few minutes, then the radishes and scapes.
Along with the radishes and scapes, I added a couple dashes of miring and teriyaki
I let this cook for a couple minutes, then added the greens to wilt

Since the tofu had just gone into the oven at this point, I served this over some crunchy rice noodles (you could substitute rice or other noodles if you wanted)

The baked tofu takes about 10 minutes to make (5 minutes, at least, of marinating time) and then another 15-30 in the oven--depending on how crispy you want the tofu and if you have the patience to flip every little square (I don't, so I usually bake it for 15-20 minutes).
All of this took roughly 30 minutes to make, and it was great!  If the snow peas, turnips, and radishes show up again, I'll be making this again--just with better timing (making the tofu first since the stir fry took all of 8 minutes or so to cook).

No comments:

Post a Comment